So with the tactical marines done i i had the choice of the terminator captain or the dread, ofc i picked the dread!
So i took all the things i knew what to do so far and did this.
The only thing i really did “new” on this one was the large flat areas of armour,
They were base coated, dry brushed, washed then i went over the “middle” of the plate with the base paint. you can see it here.
Be be totally honest think i got my light/dark the wrong way round, but when your in a hole best to keep on digging! One thing about painting like this is that it does give some definition with out being too tricky to do.
Bit of a delay with me and my blog, got lazy when i came to space marines and basically forgot the order i painted them however …
I picked ultra marines, the transfers came with the box and to be honest i did want to try more transfers (after my Necron destroyers)
So in the true tradition of learning to paint, i looked up a video on youtube took a trip to the shop to get more paints. after a while this was produced!
So yeah one of my first marines dry brushed please note got the transfers on the wrong shoulders (however i did paint a full tactical squad so some were right by accident)
Also as i’m writing this about a year after i painted these don’t remember which of my 30 tactical marines were painted first, this this dude was one of the first.
I learned to paint blue! and a purity seal.
Any how im back to posting stuff!
So second army i was going to paint required a new basing scheme.
Decided a muddy field effect would be the thing as i had the paints to paint it and i thought brown would be a nice colour to off set the the models with.
Also decided that i would start using sand, so i got myself a bag of “bird sand”, turns out i already had a bottle of pva glue!
Needed something else for the bases so i also got some Citadel “grass”.
So on to the base, its a layer of Mournfang Brown, and then a high light of Ushabti Bone. then a few dabs of random pva then the grass, it looks like this when it’s done.
Clearly not a Space marine, but in the end i use this for all my Imperial, models.
Space marines … yeah yeah i know…
So time for a team necron photo!
Well that it for the Necrons for the time being moving on
The final building block to my Necrons the immortals.
i got 10 of them coz why not and yeah they are like warriors with different guns.
Also gold strips on the head because gold is cool …
Only thing i think i learned from this was if i watered down moot green it would settle nicely in the grooves in the gun barrels.
Still with these guys done i was finally ready to move onto new ground.
Well i was closing in on having a decurion formation so looking at the codex a monolith was on the list, so yeah i got me a monolith!
Looked online at some piccys of monoliths and did not see one with gold up the side bits ?
So decided to to go crazy andpaint gold veins on the outside and my standard green drybrush effect.
This paintjob killed my first drybrush and painitng the thing black almost killed my will to live !
I’ve not mentioned before that I undercoat by hand, still do, I like to use the undercoat to get a feel for the model before i start putting colours on it, the feeling i got from this one was … brick.
Still when thrown together think he looks alright!
Green up close
So you can see the front
and finally and over exposed flash one so you can see the green!
More phase blades, came out oki-ish, quite like the shields, funny thing is that these things come with 28mm bases and yeah they are quite top heavy. So these are my most fall-overly models… still my overlord has a body guard now so he was happy (not so happy with them falling over on the job :))
One day i will get some base extenders and 32mm them up.
Think my brother said tomb blades are a cool unit but a pain in the arse, turns out he was right!!
Basic reinforcement of the skills i had learned and practice building a fiddle arse model, more green dry brushing fun and more metal, by this point i was pretty happy painting a necron metal body!
Here is an example in all its annoying glory!
i was looking for a new cool model to paint so that i could practice, so i decided that i would get some destroyers.
Got to play with more green dry brush and this time my first transfers, applied with nervous caution. read many guides before trying it and i think it worked out ok, it was not traumatic enough to end my relation ship with transfers.
Also an attempt at a bit of a white head, early days for the white …. i still hate painting white!
However more confidence building with the metal.
So here they are!